At GANBAROU! you will find a thorough and ambitious approach to martial arts. We strive for excellence, encouraging our students to aim high. Through rigorous training you will stretch the boundaries of your individual ability, forging within you the determination to walk the winding road towards your true potential.

Whatever it is that brings you to us, we aim to provide you with an environment that encourages you to test yourself in the company of others who are doing the same.

We are an ambitious club, and aim to get the best from our students: to develop self-control; discipline; compassion; and maturity. We know that through rigorous training our students can develop the qualities that will allow them to be of great value to those around them and to society at large.

Click here to find out more.
It was December 2001, and I found myself wondering where to go.


I asked myself: how can I best use my creativity and will power? 


I was looking for the right challenge - the right path. 


That's when I found Karate.





My journey begins! 

Opportunity comes when you really look for it.

I had joined a local club and soon found myself faced with many new challenges, both in- and outside of the dojo. I was asked to help promote the club, which involved going from door to door and speaking to everyone about the benefits of karate. 


This began a full time career in karate!

Back then, my confidence was at an all time low so this was just the challenge I needed. I struggled throughout my childhood talking with others so it really pushed my boundaries of comfort. But something in me, my determination, my perseverance with saying to myself, “I must improve in talking with others!” gave me enough reason to continue battling my weaknesses.

I was out every day of the week, in sun, wind, and rain and saw it as part of my training. I got to meet people from many different walks of life, and found myself enjoying it more each day!

Each obstacle I faced with sheer determination to keep on getting better.

Soon I was asked to instruct a class on my own. I still had difficulty talking with others, and now had to confront 40 new students!

I was terrible!



But it was a start. I promised myself that I would improve with each class. I was determined to be a good instructor.

I found my passion in wanting to help as many people out there - people of all ages and abilities - to keep fit, healthy and active. 



The next few years were incredible. Setting myself bigger challenges gave me a chance to excel my kihon, kata and kumite, and I became one of the top trainee instructors in the area. I also helped other areas to build their clubs. By 2005, I was a Shodan (1st Dan Black Belt) and a senior lead instructor.


Cracks in the system

In 2009, I attained my Nidan (2nd Dan Black Belt). However, as I went along to gradings and courses I began to notice more and more flaws in the current karate system.

I knew something wasn’t right in the way things were being done. I wondered why there were so many instructors who had left popular organisations to walk their own paths. Did they feel that something wasn’t right as well?

I continued with my teaching, but my reservations grew. It seemed that many students were being rushed through the belt system, without properly mastering and understanding their techniques. There was too much emphasis on achieving belts at the expense of thorough training. The fear was that if proper standards were enforced - if students had to work long and hard for their belts - then many would simply quit.

This pattern has gone on for many years. Poor students become poor instructors, and standards slip even more.

I began to research more to try and find what it is we have forgotten: the true spirit of Karate.

Asking questions and finding answers

So many of us get ill through not looking after ourselves properly. Unhealthy lifestyles cause stresses and strains on our minds and bodies causing us all sorts of problems.

Martial arts can help restore a balance to our lives, and to our society.


I spend a lot of my time researching many different martial arts in order to find the right path for these times.

There are always those teachers around the world who stay away from the mainstream and preserve karate in its purest forms. These masters walk their paths to the extremes, making new discoveries and finding old secrets along the way. I am determined to connect with inspiring people like these, and to find more answers.

GANBAROU!


It can be hard to stay on the right path, especially if we are surrounded by indiscipline and temptation.

It is easier when there are those around you who are also trying hard and training hard. I hope that GANBAROU! will provide a positive environment in which we can work together to do our best, not only in the dojo but in the rest of our lives as well.

My journey continues ... !
(maybe I’ll see you along the way?!)

Kevin